Wednesday 11 May 2011

No Puck? Yes Rant!

What's up, Beautiful?

So, there was no puck today. Seems like FOREVER since that's happened, eh? We've (...I've) just been watching puck steady for about 6 weeks now, and it's nice to give it a rest, I gotta say.
FILMED ISSUE ALERT!!!: Seeds have been planted, stay tuned. I have a director on call for it to be shot this Saturday, so hopefully it'll be up that same day, or if not, before the Canucks game. He's a big fucking deal of a director, too. Hopefully he sticks to my genius/my script.
Of course, my mind did veer off into Hockeyland today while I was driving up in the mountains in the pouring rain. I thought of a couple little tidbits to throw your way. If Vancouver ends up playing Detroit, imagine where Kesler's intensity level will be? If you thought it couldn't get any higher than its been, well try throwing the budding legend into his hometown for the biggest series of his career. I can't even imagine it, seriously. It's too hard.
Also, I just wanna put this out in cyberspace, too. Canucks centreman/faceoff artist/emotional leader/inspiration Manny Malhotra skated today. He wore a full cage (I'd call him a pussy if not for the severity of his injury, I think he would've lost his eye had he not had the best doctors in the world working on him), and just did some really low-energy stuff. But I'm gonna go on record to say, don't be surprised if you see Mr. Manny if we get to the Big Dance. I thought that after he had his surgery, and now I'm thinking it more seriously. Not because I have any inside sources or anything (the team is keeping it really hush-hush), but with all the privacy measures teams take on injuries and everything, just don't be surprised if he's rehabbing VERY quickly. Imagine that. Like Kes in Detroit, too hard to imagine, what that'd feel like watching that. WOW.
SO while I was driving, like myself, radio sportscasters didn't have much to talk about today either. They did, however, bring up a topic that is pretty interesting to talk about...
New York Rangers forward Sean Avery did a PSA about same-sex marriage in New York state. Supporting it. Cool.
A sports agent and a sportscaster went public and openly said they weren't cool with it, and it's "wrong".
Now, before I would've just spewed those 2 dudes blood all over the place, called them fucking bigots and told them that I hope they burn in "hell" along with their stupid religious beliefs.
But, I suppose I have just learned to have a little faith in humanity now as I get a bit older. I totally disagree with these two morons, and think that 2 people should be able to love each other regardless of any cultural boundary, because love makes the world go round and the more the better. Word? uh huh, I thought so. What else are we living for??
These people will come around. They'll get it. maybe not THEM specifically, but eventually, WE'LL get it. you know? It won't be an issue. Slowly but surely, we're chugging along.
So the sportscasters I was listening to (not the morons) are talking about how the sports world is basically the last barrier to be broken for homosexuality to be accepted in the public eye. Entertainer and politicians are coming out, and it seems to go over pretty well (i'm sure there are exceptions, yes...). But never in the sports world has an ACTIVE professional athlete playing one of the "major" sports came out of the closet. And don't kid yourself, People. No WAY there's all those athletes, and ALL of them are as into "smashing box" as they say they are in the lockerroom with the boys. Logic just wouldn't allow it.
All I'm gonna say is, just refer to the picture above. WE used to think, in the century we were all born in for fuck sakes, that a black man shouldn't be able to play sports with a white man. Couldn't happen. Impossible. Well, that's the general impression about an openly gay person playing a pro team sport now. Couldn't happen, it'd be too hard. Too much backdraft. Too much abuse. Too much bad publicity. Too much image-tarnishing.
It's the same old story, it's the Jackie Robinson story, with a twist. We keep our bigotry and our hate out of the universe as much as possible, and someone will be brave enough. Imagine if Jackie Robinson wasn't brave enough to come out and play with the white guys? No Canadian would've seen Joe Carter "touch 'em all". We wouldn't know what Michael Jordan's tongue looks like. We could never call Corey Perry "the fridge" because we wouldn't have a reference point.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on others' lives". That's what Jackie Robinson believed. That's what he said, actually.
Someone'll do it. They'll come out. It'll make big news, and they'll be a hero. And then, as time goes on, it won't be an issue anymore. Then WE'll find something else to be opposed to that doesn't make sense, and WE'll find a way to break that barrier down, too. WE're dumb and WE're genius, brave and cowardly, WE're scared at first, but WE learn to accept and learn to love. WE're human.
Go Canucks, muthafuckaz!

xosmlxo

xosmlxo

1 comment: