Thursday 26 May 2011

Welcome to Sechelt, Leyzer!

Greetings. Earthlings. We Aw Now Takeen Ova Yo Radio-oh-oh-hi hit em high hit em high hit em high, you hit em low hit em low hit em low hit em low!
- Some dude, I think from Cypress Hill, from the Space Jam soundtrack.
Good in the dressing room....when I was 8.
Anyhoo, I'm on the road for the next week, in a little town called Sechelt, BC. I know what you're all thinking: Yes, I'm right beside the ocean. Yes, I can hear waves crashing against the shore. Yes, I'm typing this without clothes on. Yes, it took me all day to get my wireless connection working.
Funny thing I have always noticed about small towns, but have never articulated (or rather, had the words to articulate it). Coming from a small town, I would always notice how "at home" I would feel when I would get back to Flin Flon as a youngster. "Home again Home again, Jiggidy Jig". A little sigh of relief in my belly. But, if I go into any other smalltown, I always feel like a complete alien. Everyone looks at me funny. I guess they do this because it's almost certain it's the first time they're laying eyes on me, but it's just a little off-putting. Like I'm intruding, and fucking up the day-to-day that everyone goes through. Smalltown folks seem uber-observant, but uber-bored.
But, on the flipside of my fear of being outed as a city-dwelling monster, at least people actually look you in the eye in a smalltown. No one's in a rush here. They take 5 seconds to make contact with you, even if it they find you a little weird and out-of-place. Some walked by and said hi, as if they were welcoming me.
So I guess home is where you make it. I guess I'm not a "smalltown guy" like I thought I was. Or maybe we're all "smalltown guys" and we just make our own little smalltowns, even if it's in a big city. I don't fucking know. Leave me alone, I'm in the middle of nowhere and Black Label Society's "Hangover Music" album just came on on my laptop. Cut me some slack.
Also, cut me some slack because there's no hockey on today, so there's not much to talk about. Still openly smile in public when I hear John Shorthouse's call of the Bieksa goal (could be why some Secheltians gave me the stink-eye), still loving where the Canucks are. I am taking this time away to really allow myself to reflect on the last 3 series, and all the good moments that have came as a result of this team of...dare I say it....DESTINY!
And I'm not talking hoops (basketball for you white folks) either, because I don't want to lose my audience. Listening to me talking basketball would be like listening to the sportscasters on TEAM 1040 talk about movies.
"I still haven't seen that Black Duck movie."
"Black Swan, you mean. It's great! You gotta see it Dave!"
"ahhhh...I'm not watching that. there's no story to it!"
Or something along those lines.
So no one wants to go through that with me and basketball.
This Black Label Society album is absolutely KILLING ME! No wonder hangovers are paralyzing, listening to this all day. It's so damn sad! manly as fuck, but sad!!
Is there anyone on earth that doesn't like the song "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman? and if so, why are they still alive? same goes for "Romeo and Juliet" by the dire Straits. You have no soul if you don't like those songs.
Will my job require me to shave my beard tomorrow? if I'm working in a pulp mill? Probably. That's okay. I'm alright with letting go of it, although I think it's somehow made me cooler. I'm confident in the Canucks. They don't need my superstition. Or at least they don't need that one. I still have a few others.
The Cup final starts Wednesday! WOOOOO! I will only be out of the city for game 1! I had fears of missing all the fun/agony of the finals. Not so! I'll be back soon enough, Vancouver!
I find it strange that I miss Vancouver. I guess it's my "smalltown" now. I guess that's not a bad thing, either. It is what it is. I have made a city my home.
Goodnight All, I have reading to do. Yes. I can read.

xosmlxo

No comments:

Post a Comment