Tuesday 31 May 2011

Christmas Eve

That's how I feel, Leyzertons. I will not sleep tonight.

So, I'm back in town. Away from the Sunshine Coast, and I gotta say something. Something to you, Vancouver. Thank you for rolling out the red carpet for my black ass! I roll out of the ferry, the sun's shining, hot babes are texting me, David Pratt's on the radio being as cynical as ever regarding the long wait for the Cup to start. Just perfect.
First off, BEFORE I give you my....*voice suddenly gets caught in throat* my final prediction *cough cough, back to normal voice*, I first want to talk about the most glorious day in my home provinces history since the Battle of Seven Oaks! (pick up a Canadian history book, dummies) NHL HOCKEY IS BACK IN MANITOBA!!!!!! YESSSSSS!!!! USA -23, Canada - 7.
For those skeptics out there, instead of dwelling on the fact that the franchise failed the first time around, and that nothing or nobody deserves a second chance, and that once you lose something it's best to just leave it alone and never try again, why not just be happy that a great (albeit, a kind of ugly) city that loves hockey, and produces some excellent, world class hockey stars, gets a relevant team to cheer for again. It's a GOOD thing. It'll work this time. What if Thomas Edison was like, "ah fuck it. this lightbulb shit won't work"? I'll tell ya what! You'd be blind as fuck, all fucking day long. I will hear NONE of your skepticism, people. ZERO.
As for the name, my sources are saying that...wait for it...wait for it...they won't be called the Jets. The NHL owns the rights to the name "Winnipeg Jets", so the new ownership group would have to pay a price to get the name. David Thompson (the new owner) could probably afford it, since he's in the top 20 richest men in the world category. But, I think I'm okay with a fresh start. I'm down with that. I'm not down with taking the Manitoba Moose name. That's boring. The best suggestion I've heard is a shout-out to Manitoba's rich history and the great Manitoba Métis hero Louis Riel, and calling them the Manitoba Rebels. mmmm mmmm, that sounds nice.
I'm hearing they'll be called the Manitoba Falcons, though. Isn't that what the old Atlanta Thrashers logo is? A cartoon falcon? Go with a fresh start, if you can't use the Jets anymore.
They should draft a Manitoba kid with their pick in the draft this year. Just saying. It'll add excitement to a team that doesn't have a lot of potential stars. Evander Kane, maybe. Their goalie is good, too.
Now.
The Prediction. Canucks in 4. Sweep.
Possible? fuckinrights. Probable? not really. Bold. uh huh. Magical? Yes.
Do this years Canucks have a magical element to them? Idunno, you tell me. Go downtown tomorrow at about 4:45. See if you see people filled with excitement and adrenaline. See if you see people with smiles on their faces. Then watch the game. Watch the Sedins pass, Kesler battle, the 3rd line hit, the defense go unnoticeable until they jump into the rush. Luongo answer the bell.
Then make up your mind.
See you on the streets.

xosmlxo

No comments:

Post a Comment